AUDI A1 NEWS
- Porsche tops Which? Car Survey top brand list
- New Mazda MX-5 crowned ‘most reliable new sportscar’ by Which?
- New Ford Transit Custom wins What Van? Top award
- New BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Saloon wins What Car? Green Car of the Year 2012
- New Mazda MX-5 crowned Britain’s most reliable car by What Car?
- New chargepoints for electric cars across UK introduced
- Nissan Leaf is first fully electric vehicle to join motability scheme
- New range extended being developed for electric vehicles
- Nissan, Ecotricity set to expand charging network
- Renault-Nissan sells 100,000th zero-emission car
- New Ford Transit Connect - delivering best-in-class fuel efficiency
The 3.99-metre long and 1.75-metre wide study furthers the many advances made by the three-door A1 project quattro show car which debuted in Tokyo in 2007.
A new version of the innovative hybrid technology employed in the A1 project quattro provides power for the new Audi A1 Sportback concept.
Under the new Audi A1 Sportback bonnet is a transversely mounted 1.4-litre TFSI engine developing 150PS and 240Nm, and directing this to the front wheels by means of the S tronic dual-clutch transmission.
A 20 kW (27 hp) electric motor integrated in the drive train is able to deliver up to an additional 150 Nm of torque (110.63 lb-ft) when the vehicle is accelerating.
During the boosting phase, i.e. when the TFSI engine and electric motor operate simultaneously, the two power packs deliver impressive propulsion.
The tried-and-tested front-wheel drive configuration – supplemented by the newly developed, ESP-controlled active front differential lock – ensures optimum power transfer to the road.
The electric motor is also capable of powering the vehicle unaided for zero-emission driving in residential areas, for instance.
The capacity of the lithium-ion batteries in the new Audi A1 Sportback gives the vehicle a range of up to 62.14 miles in pure electric mode; the motor can be recharged from any power socket.
The automatic start/stop facility, energy regeneration and phases of purely electrical operation reduce the fuel consumption and emissions of the new Audi A1 Sportback concept by almost 30% compared to when it is running on the combustion engine alone.
Despite its strong performance, with acceleration of 0 to 62mph in 7.9 seconds and a top speed of 124mph, the new Audi A1 Sportback concept is nevertheless capable of returning up to 72.4mpg; CO2 emissions are an efficient 92 g/km.
View the latest 2015 AUDI A1 Deals