AUDI A1 NEWS
- New Ford Transit Custom wins What Van? Top award
- New BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Saloon wins What Car? Green Car of the Year 2012
- New Mazda MX-5 crowned Britain’s most reliable car by What Car?
- Kia wins Which? best car manufacturer crown
- New Suzuki Swift Sport wins What Car? ‘Best Buy’ award
- New smart fortwo BoConcept signature style – get ready to be seen in one
- New Mercedes-Benz Sprinter: setting new benchmark in efficiency
- New Volkswagen Golf BlueMotion: get more out of driving
- New Volvo V60 – Britain’s best-kept secret now out
- The new Volkswagen Golf is Europe's Car of the Year
- Toyota provides hybrid boost to Surrey’s Climate Week programme
The new Audi Sportback is a concept study that combines cutting-edge styling with optimum economy of space, supreme quality and a series of visionary technical solutions that help reduce CO2 emissions to just 92 g/km.
The 3.99-metre long and 1.75-metre wide study furthers the many advances made by the three-door A1 project quattro show car which debuted in Tokyo in 2007.
A new version of the innovative hybrid technology employed in the A1 project quattro provides power for the new Audi A1 Sportback concept.
Under the new Audi A1 Sportback bonnet is a transversely mounted 1.4-litre TFSI engine developing 150PS and 240Nm, and directing this to the front wheels by means of the S tronic dual-clutch transmission.
A 20 kW (27 hp) electric motor integrated in the drive train is able to deliver up to an additional 150 Nm of torque (110.63 lb-ft) when the vehicle is accelerating.
During the boosting phase, i.e. when the TFSI engine and electric motor operate simultaneously, the two power packs deliver impressive propulsion.
The tried-and-tested front-wheel drive configuration – supplemented by the newly developed, ESP-controlled active front differential lock – ensures optimum power transfer to the road.
The electric motor is also capable of powering the vehicle unaided for zero-emission driving in residential areas, for instance.
The capacity of the lithium-ion batteries in the new Audi A1 Sportback gives the vehicle a range of up to 62.14 miles in pure electric mode; the motor can be recharged from any power socket.
The automatic start/stop facility, energy regeneration and phases of purely electrical operation reduce the fuel consumption and emissions of the new Audi A1 Sportback concept by almost 30% compared to when it is running on the combustion engine alone.
Despite its strong performance, with acceleration of 0 to 62mph in 7.9 seconds and a top speed of 124mph, the new Audi A1 Sportback concept is nevertheless capable of returning up to 72.4mpg; CO2 emissions are an efficient 92 g/km.
View the latest 2013 AUDI A1 Deals