- Porsche tops Which? Car Survey top brand list
- New Mazda MX-5 crowned ‘most reliable new sportscar’ by Which?
- New Ford Transit Custom wins What Van? Top award
- New BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Saloon wins What Car? Green Car of the Year 2012
- New Mazda MX-5 crowned Britain’s most reliable car by What Car?
- New chargepoints for electric cars across UK introduced
- Nissan Leaf is first fully electric vehicle to join motability scheme
- New range extended being developed for electric vehicles
- Nissan, Ecotricity set to expand charging network
- Renault-Nissan sells 100,000th zero-emission car
- New Ford Transit Connect - delivering best-in-class fuel efficiency
The hi-tech 105bhp engine, which debuts in the new Yeti, will feature in Skoda, Audi, Volkswagen and Seat vehicles.
The all-new engine has come a long way from the flame-ignition motorcycle unit produced by company founders Laurin and Klement in 1899.
It features both direct fuel injection and turbocharging technology to maximise the low CO2 emissions and fuel consumption characteristics of a small-capacity engine but with the power and driving pleasure of a much larger one.
Skoda Auto BOD chairman, Reinhard Jung, said: “This brand new TSI engine provides a unique opportunity of combining environmental friendliness with a well-balanced driving performance.
“With substantially lower CO2 figures, this new engine needs to be seen as a contribution to a significant reduction of average emission volumes in our cars.”
The Mlada Boleslav plant will produce the 1.2 TSI engine alongside two versions of the 1.2 HTP three-cylinder engine as well as assembling 1.4 MPI, 1.4 TDI PD, 2.0 TDI PD and 2.0 TDI CR diesel engines.
Engine production provides work for 600 people, with2,800 units built every day. Engines and gearboxes from Mladá Boleslav can be found in engines and gearboxes across the VW Group.
Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSI prices start from £13,775 OTR.
View the latest 2013 SKODA Deals