If your car needs to be scrapped, you must use an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF). This ensures it is handled and dismantled in an environmentally friendly way.

A list of ATFs can be obtained from the Government website.

If you’re taking parts to repair or restore another vehicle, you’ll have to make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Declaration) or keep taxing it until you take it to an ATF.

When you sell your car for scrap, you need to fill in section 9 (‘Notification of sale or transfer’) of your V5C registration certificate and send it to DVLA or register the sale online.

If the ATF scraps your car, they will notify the DVLA and they will give you a Certificate of Destruction (CoD) within 7 days. In some cases they may decide to re-sell your car instead.

Share this post